M.Phil Year 2 Translation 08HT Week 8
Chinese HIV cases jump 30 percent in 2006
1. China's reported cases of HIV/AIDS jumped nearly 30 percent in the first 10 months of 2006 with intravenous drug use the biggest source of infection, the Health Ministry said Wednesday.
2. The hefty rise in reported cases shows how China is doing a better job testing and tracking the disease. It also shows "that the epidemic continues to grow in many parts of the country."
3. President Hu Jintao symbolized the new approach when he appeared on national television in late 2004 chatting and shaking hands with AIDS patients.
4. The ministry said 5.1 percent of the cases were caused by people selling blood illegally or receiving infected blood from hospitals.
5. There are usually a large number of cases where the source of infection is unknown, as many people who test positive are unwilling to disclose how they contracted HIV or are unsure how they were infected.