M.Phil Year 2 Translation 09HT Week 3
EU presses China and India to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
1. The EU is pressing emerging economies such as China and India to agree to cut their greenhouse gas emissions under the proposed new post-Kyoto agreement on climate change.
2. Emerging economies are not bound by the current Kyoto protocol targets on the grounds that global warming is the result of emissions from rich nations and they should be allowed to enjoy catch-up growth.
3. Senior Brussels officials say emerging economies would be asked first to slow the growth of their emissions and gradually reduce them as their contribution to achieving a global 50% cut on 1990 levels by 2050.
4. Senior European commission officials, pointing particularly to China, acknowledge evidence that emerging economies are already taking measures to reduce their emissions.
5. The EU move comes as its own ambitious plans to cut its emissions by at least 20% by 2020, through increased use of renewable energy and greater energy efficiency, are in disarray because of the impact of the global financial crisis.